At Smarkets, our Lead Recruiters work across multiple areas of hiring - not just finding candidates and putting them into a defined process. Having only established an in-house recruitment function circa 4 months ago, we are working through loads of interesting challenges, ranging from telling our “Engineering at Smarkets” story externally to creating our events calendar to evaluating a number of different candidate sourcing tools. We are as experimental as the teams we help to hire, and are looking for a collaborative doer to join us in shaping our hiring function.
Smarkets is a company of people who are not afraid to challenge the status quo, and we regularly debate our ideas until a solution prevails. To thrive in this environment, you’ll need to be open-minded, gregarious and able to root your opinions in data and experience. If you are excited by the opportunity to build something from the ground up, then you should be part of Smarkets!
What one day in this role might look like
9:00-10:00: Arrive in the office and have a fantastic, freshly prepared breakfast in our rooftop kitchen
9:00-10:00: Catch-up on the Slack channels and emails
10:00-11:30: Get stuck into our ATS (Greenhouse) and find a few gems from days gone by
11:30-13:00: Screen some candidates
13:00-14:00: Time to eat again - and never at your desk!
14:00-15:00: Data at the ready, discuss how we can optimise our hiring process with some of the engineers
15:00-15:30: Talk to our PR team about how to generate some buzz about doing a sponsored coding challenge
15:30-17:00: Build a pipeline of candidates in LinkedIn for that data engineering role
17:00:17:30: Talk to our quantitative research team about how to write an amazing reach-out message
17:30-18:30: Set up for your day tomorrow and wrap up. Eat again. Yes, food is big at Smarkets
Your skills and experience
- Whilst a technical background is not required, we would like you to have deep, proven experience hiring into good engineering culture
- You’ll be responsible for finding and engaging with top talent, so we need you to have that special ability to craft amazing, personalised messages that get engineers interested in having a conversation with you. You’ll be able to uncover a prospective candidate’s motivations and drivers, then speak to these drivers with the needs of the role in mind
- You’re organised - you know that when there’s loads to do, prioritization is essential and you are good at structuring your day
- The ability to lead people; not in the formal sense though. As a self-managed company, we have no traditional hierarchy but we do need someone who can carry their views forward and get buy-in across the company
- You understand what it means to build an effective employer brand, and will have the drive to see projects through. Whilst hosting a meet-up in the office might not get you an immediate hire, you recognise the power of building brand awareness
The Smarkets Mission
We’re changing the way markets operate, making them more efficient, fair, and valuable. We have built one of the largest betting exchanges (also known as a prediction market) with significantly better odds than the competition. We believe betting should be priced like a commodity, because it is one.
Our platform has handled over £5 billion of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe. We have been listed as one of 10 European startups to watch by the Wall Street Journal; and in 2017, were named the 25th fastest-growing company in Europe in the inaugural FT1000 ranking. In September 2017, Smarkets was #2 in The Sunday Times Tech Track 100.
The fine print:
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.